Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - please advise ...please ......
View Single Post
Old 17-09-2015, 11:44 AM

前路茫茫 is on a distinguished road
Default please advise ...please ......

Hi all the brothers and sister,

I would like to seek for valued advice from all of you about my career path in my current situation,
First, let me introduce myself first.
I’m 36 years old, married, and got 2 kids, staying in 4 rooms flat (monthly instalment $1000, until 52 years old), with car (monthly instalment $520).
I start working since year 1999, (20 years old), I work as an operator @ peanuts pay @ $575 per month, after a year, the company move to Indonesia.
Then I found another operator job, the salary was $850, after 1 year, the company moved to Malaysia, I get retrench again.
After that, I found a technician job with the salary of $1200; during this period I go to study ITE, (PARTIME). After 3 years, I get my NITEC certificate.
Then I quit from here then moved to a Japanese firm to work as technician also with the salary of $1200. (At this stage, I’m 25 years old)
When I working in this Japanese company, my manager quite happy with my performance, so I get few times of promotion with salary increase, the details as listed below:
1. 1st year,2006, workshop technician, $1200
2. 2nd year,2007, field service technician, $1500
3. 3rd year,2008, field service technician, $1750
4. 4th year,2009, field service technician,$1750
5. 5th year,2010, field service senior assistant engineer,$2050
6. 6th year,2011, field service senior assistant engineer,$2150
7. 7th year,2012, found a job in another Japanese firm, there offer me $2700, but then the existing company counter offer me $2850 with the title of Field service engineer( at this year, I get my diploma from Ngee Ann polytechnic after 3 years of study in part time).
8. 8th year,2013 field service engineer,$2950
9. 9th year, 2014 field service engineer,$3200.
The above mentioned Japanese company is a machine supplier to the semiconductor industry, the job scope of being a field service guy, basically is a hands on job, stationed at customer site, the working hours always irregular, example, received call from customer during midnight, sometimes need to go down to customer site to solve the machine issue during middle of the night. I been work in this pattern over the past 10 years. Actually is a very tough job, just imagine, during middle of the night, while u are sleeping after a tired day, suddenly got a urgent call in, request u to go down to fix the issue. Next day need to working again,(company will give u rest at morning, report to work after lunch).
And also, during year 2013, I go to study part time again, is a degree course, In Kaplan, Bachelor Degree in mechanical engineering, accredited by university of south Australia, 2 years course, already complete.
Early of year 2015, I discuss with my wife, i wanted to change the working environment , I don’t want to work any hands on and irregular working hours, so I start to find another job. After 2 month, I found another job, is Germany company, a machine supplier to the oil and gas company, a newly set up company in Singapore(less than a year). They offer salary $3800, with car allowance 800. As a sales and service engineer. I joined , after 1 month , I quit, due to the german boss very particular and he want me to go and find the new customer without train me about the products. And every day want me to make some cold call to the potential customer. How can promote the company product without the knowledge of the products. So , from there, I quit without secure a new job.
After 1 month shake leg at home, I found another job, as a sales engineer, salary $3500, with mileage claim if u visit customer,($0.70 per km). no-commission
My question is, based on above experience and qualification, am I under paid ? some of my friend already is a manager with the salary of 4k-5k….
Other than sales role, what position can i do with the higher salary ?
Because currently my salary only 3.5k, after cpf only get 2.8k
Can brother or sister here give some opinion whether my salary is under range or within the range to sustain a family with 2 kids ?
now i feel very depress ........