Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Personal Financial Consultant in Financial Institute VS Bank
View Single Post
Old 16-09-2015, 10:38 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbi3 View Post
So, you are saying private banking need a higher qualification?

Of course, those who are in private banking are high flyers and have connection or were from investment banking. Like what you said, most private bankers don't start from retail banking. But is there not anyone who start out from retail banking into private banking? That is my question though. Is is not possible to fight you way up? Well, that is the career progression given during the interview. Of course, the % of ppl who goes into private banking is very small. No doubt. But is it really impossible?

You will deal with futures and securities as you move up, you won't just be selling insurance and unit trusts.

This is what I understand. Are you from the banking sector? If you are, then, maybe you can correct me more.
Possible? Yes.
Probable? No.

And it has nothing to do with qualifications. You seem to think selling securities/futures products to the mass market is some sort of sophistication and that earlier comment about premier banking, it shows you are completely clueless on the retail banking sector. I strongly suggest you do some research offline and go look for friends who actually work at branch sales to find out more.

Almost every sales guy on the ground aspires to be a private banker, how many actually make it in the end? <1%. If you think all you need to do is to work hard, achieve your KPI and meet a few “rich” people in your neighborhood bank, then good luck. You gonna need it.

A branch sales agent becoming a private banker is akin to striking 4D. The possibility is there, but nobody should be making career decision based on that remote possibility and outlyer examples.