Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherjcstudent View Post
Also, do NUS/SMU/Oxbridge lawyers face competition from those private schools LLB? I see alot of those in the newspaper ads, and wonder if they are our competitors given the relaxing of rules in the Legal Professions Act? Its such a waste of my time mugging in JC to get perfect As and student council/cca leadership posts if this is the case.
As of today, they do not constitute qualified persons under the LPA to get called. They will need to gain sufficient legal experience before they can get called. So they cannot compete as qualified lawyers.

Having said that, it is not a necessity to be called before you can do legal work. They can still find work in law firms, in-house and in legal service. So in this sense, they are able to compete with qualified lawyers for the same jobs.

It is indeed a waste of your time mugging in JC and trying. I never got anywhere near perfect grades for my A levels and I made it into NUS law. Furthermore, if your parents are wealthy enough, you just need to do well enough to get into a scheduled university in UK or Aus and graduate with a 2nd lower to get called. Why waste the best years of your life studying instead of hitting on the sweet young things?

As for your earlier question on lowest paid lawyers; no one will be able to answer that. It depends on each person's aspirations and what practice they choose.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app