Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - I am worried about my future
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2015, 03:35 PM
Unregistered

You make it sound like all in the older generation are wealthy and own multiple properties. This cannot be further from the truth!

I think at most, less than 1% of the older generation can be considered wealthy with networth exceeding $2M (including their homes)? You can see around you especially in HDB void decks many retirees sitting idly and many uncles and aunties still working at low level jobs in their lates 60s. These people dont have much savings!

Those who became wealthy through property investments took great risk! No one knows how the market would turn out. The poster who said the father bought a bungalow which grew multifold in value could have gone sour had the government acquired the land for MRT line for example or gone bankrupt had the economy turned south and he could not keep up with the loan repayment.

This, by the way, happened to many hapless property investors in 1997/98, 2008/09 financial crisis. They had to sell at great loss or were made bankrupt.

Those who really made good are the educated ones who had stable jobs, hold senior positions and good incomes (eg $200K - $500k pa) and invested well. These are the people who had holding power and even accumulate more investments during poor economic climate. But like in every generation, there are not many of such people. Then there are the power couples - where both husband and wife are high flyers. Imagine if each earns $200k to $500k pa, then their combined income is anything from $400k to $1m pa.

We are not a power couple, but suffice to say that our annual savings exceed $300k. So can you imagine what the power couples could be saving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes certainly, if we compare to the previous generation, those who bough properties in the past, we will definitely lose out (by a lot)

But this is a fact that we cannot change, what we can do is to save and earn as much as possible without giving up certain level of comfort.

I have some problem as well, especially on housing issue. I am 27 as well, just started work last year and I also prepare to get married before 30 years old. On top of that, I have some limitation which deters me from purchasing HDB but only left me a choice to purchase condo.

Not sure whether I am able to achieve that but I have a set of plan and set a budget in google excel sheet to monitor my progress and my expected goal in achieving the goals that I have.

As some of the people mention, we cannot determine our success or failure at the beginning of the race, because we are just starting and there are unlimited opportunities ahead (be it good or bad, lies in our decision)