Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - I am worried about my future
View Single Post
Old 31-08-2015, 11:00 AM

aplover is on a distinguished road

relax man... work hard and plan well. Look ahead, speak to people who are just a couple of years ahead of you. Or up to 10years older than you. Where are they now, how did they do it? I honestly wouldn't take too much of a guidance from people who are of a different generation - our parent's generation. Simply because they had one of the best years to grow up in Singapore.

During their time, incomes grew tremendously and most most importantly housing values increased significantly. HDB x10, landed houes x30 to 50. I know for sure cause my dad bought his bungalow STRAIGHT OFF out of uni in a govn job. The value of that house is now worth 40x.

So basically alot of the previous generation's wealth was built on tremendous property price appreciation. Mostly because Singapore has done well as a whole. Will we see the 10x property price appreciation. Unlikely no, I can't even imagine my present HDB appreciating x2, because our incomes are clearly not increasing as much to compensate for such increase in property values.

So basically, model yourself after people who are at most in their early 40s. They would give a better perspective on how they built their wealth.

Basically, our generation has it harder but it's still doable.
1. Plan your career well. Known what industry/job you are aiming for
2. Save as much as you can. Invest your spare amount in good investment with lower and regular returns. Don't need to go for the fast and high returns
3. Marry the right woman, if you want to get married soon, just do a simple wedding with dinner in a nice restaurant with good food. Don't spend too much on hotel banquet expenses. But this will be hard to convince your wife and your parent's in law.
4. Don't buy car if you can afford to for now. You can get a decent car in future when you and your wife have higher combined income of 10k.
5. Buy HDB BTO flats. Now got additional housing grants to take advantage of. Also fiance and fiancee scheme i believe just need to do downpayment of 10%.