Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 31-08-2010, 04:44 PM

lazyplane is on a distinguished road

It sounds underpaid but there are factors govt HR will consider :

1. Where did you get your Masters from ?
2. What type of work are you applying for ? Is prior experience relevant ?

From what it sounds, it maybe that you are getting in low. But EDB is well known for being quite selective about its candidates. Nearly everyone i know there has really good education qualifications like 2nd upper, first class etc.

Also, EDB does seem to have better bonus than other stat boards i know so these are the factors to consider.

It looks good on resume to be in EDB especially if you doing the finance/trade related sector/policy making which give you a wide base to hop around after a few years. Relatively recession proof job as well.....

In civil service and stat board, try to make sure you are always in the top quad. and have ranked highly in terms of potentiall growth. If the growth part is ranked low by your superior, you going to have a hard time in increasing your paycheck and promotion. But if you are high, it is rare but you do see double promotion for non scholars as well .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi,

can i check with you guys? I have a degree from the UK and graduated with a second class lower. With that, I worked in the Stat Board for about 2 years with a starting of $2.7K and ending at $3.3K before I left for further studies.

Now graduated with a Masters, I am returning back to the Civil Service, EDB to be specific. I am offered a starting salary of $3.6k now and I am not sure if this is reasonable or not. It is relatively lower than I expected and it is just $300 more for the 2 years I spent attaining the Masters.

To what I understand, $3.6k is usually a fresh masters pay but I have job experience which was considered.

Can anyone tell me if this is reasonable or I should try asking for alittle more? Thanks!