Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - 30yo's career -- advice from the wiser and more experienced? Int in Law/Mger/Teacher
View Single Post
Old 14-08-2015, 03:04 PM
Unregistered

I don't think it's a good idea for TS to waste time & money studying law. By the time he finish saving, studying his diploma then degree etc. already 36-37 years old. Chances of a middle age guy with an overseas degree without experience getting a job in the bigger law firms & mncs/banks is very slim.

Most likely end up in some small partnership firm or legal executive / paralegal in local company, which means the starting pay maybe 4k. Still need to spend the next few years paying down debts.

Unless he is really passionate about studying law, from a financial perspective really not worth it.

If TS want to come back to SG, it will be more sense to focus on doing tuition, joining a private educational company, build up network and credibility and eventually either set up his own firm or be a lecturer in an institute. Can make more money, no need to live like a miser and most importantly no need to borrow so much money from the bank.

If it's me at the age of 37 I will prefer to be a well established educator with my own supporters and niche in the market than some entry level legal executive reporting to a younger boss in some ikan bilis local co.