Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Be a commodities trader
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2015, 09:38 PM

CommodityTraderSingapore is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi there, I have just graduated from NUS Econs and I am trying to break into the physical trading business but to no avail. My grades are average and I did not take on the honours track due to personal reasons. As for my internship experience, I am exposed to both energy research and logistics management on top of econs as my major.

Can you kindly offer me some advice on how to breakout from my current situation?
Honestly, it is very hard to break into the industry outright as a physical trader. Majority of the people had to go through some sort of 'ground work', especially in cargo/shipping operations and risk management. Finance related knowledge is also important.

I would recommend that you take on any position that is available in the physical trading shop and work your ass off to learn as much as you can and maneuver yourself into a position that you are looking for.

Also, just to note, you do not need to be a trader to live a comfortable standard of living. An experienced operator or risk manager can easily take home 10k/mth before bonus, and do not have to be faced with PnL stress.