Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How to start at a Bank!
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2015, 04:09 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
For BO/MO jobs, the more correct term would be support function department in a bank. Anyone who is in BO/MO who calls himself a banker is an idiot and obviously just trying to impress layman who might not be too familiar with the industry.

For FO jobs though it is not wrong in theory for someone involved in fronting the normal banking needs of normal consumers or corporations to call himself a banker, it does sound like bragging and trying to insinuate to others that he has "arrived".

Personally the word banker as most people associate with high finance life style and big money only applies to private and investment banking.

The trading side is also the same. I know a lot of people who are actually working in trading operations (i.e. support function) or doing backend analysis / report generation supporting the front office try to BS others by calling themselves traders or buy side analyst.

The banks know this and try to feed their ego without paying them big by inflating their job titles to ridiculous levels where every monkey working in a bank seems to be some sort of vice president. Useful for them to act out the role in front of unsuspecting friends and relatives.

Banker and consultant are 2 of the most abused titles out there. Many other industries who can pay higher than banking don't seem to have the same problem though - when was the last time you hear someone in the O&G industry anyhow call himself a driller or energy trader? Same for shipping, they don't anyhow call themselves broker unless they are really doing ship broking. Even those in HF/PE don't anyhow call themselves fund managers unless they are really the principal looking after particular funds.
Hi,

I am the poster just before you and thank you for echoing my thoughts..

It is because of this misconception / perception about anyone who is in banking = glam, high class, get to wine and dine with colleagues and clients and big chunk of bonuses at the end.

These people need to stop reading too much into efinancialcareer / wallstreet oasis,etc. Remember this, prospective applicants - you are in Singapore, a tiny red dot located in bloody tropical south east asia. You are not in wall street or frankfurt or london.. Stop thinking whatever you read on the internet applies to SG (not everything but to a certain extent).

And the last thing you would want is to send your CV with a cover letter telling me how passionate you are with banking yada yada,etc. C'mon la, we have hordes of applicants lining up from collyer quay to loyang telling us the same thing.

And if you still really want a banking job, then make it happen with your own hands. Don't come to forums n ask how to go about doing it because if you can't even manage this, then you have a long way to go.... Call me an asshat or what not, i don't care. I do not like spoonfeeding information to total strangers on the cyberspace.

Probably the last post from me for the week and here comes the dreadful monday...