Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - am I underpaid?
Thread: am I underpaid?
View Single Post
Old 24-07-2015, 09:08 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Foreigner View Post
I came to Sg in 2005 as a 25 year old software developer with 2 years experience.
Salary - $4500.
6 months later my company lost the project and i was lucky to get another job within a week.
Salary - $5000 (contract job - no aws or bonus)
Fast fwd to 2012 (6.5 years) and still with the same company and my salary is only $6400.(Still no aws or bonus)
Finally left in 2012 and joined in a global bank in the technology department with 8.5 years exp at AVP level.
Salary $7500.
Fast fwd to 2015. 10 years since I came to SG. 35 years old and 12 years of working experience.
Salary $8690 (really irritating that they could not bump it by $10 to at least make it a round figure) My luck with bonuses continues and despite 3 year ends, my bosses haven't given me a bonus till date.
When i came to SG I may have been slightly overpaid for my level of experience but I feel that I'd been unlucky in the 6.5 years that i was a contractor with very minimal salary increases and no bonus to atleast soften the blow of the paltry increments.
If my salary were higher when i left that contract job I could have got near to my current salary 3 years ago itself.
I feel that i should be earning around $12000 now to match my years of experience. Perhaps its time to jump now before i get left even further behind. I don't know how the market is for my area of expertise but if i would need at least a 25% hike to reach a 5 figure salary. Anything less than 10k and i would be miserable at the new job also.
It seems like life is tough for you here in Singapore. You are miserable at your job. It might be best if you returned to your home country and give up your job to the many Singaporeans here. They would take your current job for 7k.