Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - am I underpaid?
Thread: am I underpaid?
View Single Post
Old 24-07-2015, 01:19 AM
Johnny Foreigner

Default Underpaid

I came to Sg in 2005 as a 25 year old software developer with 2 years experience.
Salary - $4500.
6 months later my company lost the project and i was lucky to get another job within a week.
Salary - $5000 (contract job - no aws or bonus)
Fast fwd to 2012 (6.5 years) and still with the same company and my salary is only $6400.(Still no aws or bonus)
Finally left in 2012 and joined in a global bank in the technology department with 8.5 years exp at AVP level.
Salary $7500.
Fast fwd to 2015. 10 years since I came to SG. 35 years old and 12 years of working experience.
Salary $8690 (really irritating that they could not bump it by $10 to at least make it a round figure) My luck with bonuses continues and despite 3 year ends, my bosses haven't given me a bonus till date.
When i came to SG I may have been slightly overpaid for my level of experience but I feel that I'd been unlucky in the 6.5 years that i was a contractor with very minimal salary increases and no bonus to atleast soften the blow of the paltry increments.
If my salary were higher when i left that contract job I could have got near to my current salary 3 years ago itself.
I feel that i should be earning around $12000 now to match my years of experience. Perhaps its time to jump now before i get left even further behind. I don't know how the market is for my area of expertise but if i would need at least a 25% hike to reach a 5 figure salary. Anything less than 10k and i would be miserable at the new job also.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app