Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Watching Millionaire Inside
View Single Post
Old 18-08-2010, 05:26 PM

lazyplane is on a distinguished road

Hi,

thanks for the clarification. I think i understand better now.

Just wondering, , if daughter is TOP student at TOP JC, really there is no worry. I know medicine is a bit tough for females to get in, but others are not too bad. Anyway for medicine,law and accountancy , what is wrong with choosing local university ? In fact, I feel there is some advantage for local uni grads because your degree is recognised without a doubt for employers in singapore.

As for getting a scholarship, well it is quite true you have to be good to get overseas education because it is costly and can come up to $0.5million for just a degree including living expense. However, i think her daughter is still wrong to blame the father for not wanting to spend this money on her. Why ? because if you cant beat the local people here to gain the scholarship, what makes you think you can beat an international base of scholars overseas ? And graduating without a good degree from an ivy league university is worse than graduating first class from our local university.

That is my view anyway. And i will also not spend that kind of money because i think the marketing by these university have been oversold. I believe those who are really smart and successful may not even want to do a degree anymore.

btw, i will ignore all those personal comments made by others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Unfortunately, you are wrong. This guy makes close to $1m a year, but drives a 10 yr old bone shaker car. He also has investment property.

Daughter is a top student at top JC, but these days if you want to get into Medicine, Law or go to an elite overseas university, study is not enough. You have to be top in something else like student government, sports, dance whatever to get a Government scholarship. So yes, she must dance herself into it since father has flatly refused to pay for overseas university even though he can afford it.

Oversaving skinflints are not good for their families or society.