Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Advice / Opinions needed
View Single Post
Old 15-07-2015, 02:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I would say the problem with TS is not the SIM degree per se. In fairness, I have friends who are graduates of SIM that are successful. The key, like some posters before have said, is how good you are at the job and what improvement to the business you have demonstrated when given more responsibility that takes you far. The fact that TS is asking for answers shows he doesn't get the joke: It's not the degree that gets you the increase. If you are already producing work like a senior and the lack of necessary qualifications is preventing managers from giving you the proper recognition, then any degree will do. However, if you continue to produce like and have the mindset of a junior employee even though you have been working for donkey years, even the most fancy Ivy League degree will not help. Sure, you may be able to fool some unwitting brand conscious employer when you hop but ultimately the quality of work will show through and the smart manager will find a way to fire you.

To be fair, scoring big is not impossible. The problem with young people these days is that, on one hand they want the power job with the big pay that they can brag to everyone about; on the other, they are unable or unwilling to put in the required effort to get and maintain the production necessary to keep one in that big job. It's always 'oh, it's too hard' or 'I need my work-life balance' or something. Bottom line is: Success comes with sacrifice. Nobody gets to a position of wealth or power by just sitting on their butt and waiting for it to 'happen'.

Above poster is right on that last para. Take what you read in these forums with a pinch of salt, especially about their own salary numbers or ownership of however many houses. Please lah, if were clocking $1mio+ a year or own multiple businesses or houses, I wouldn't be hanging out here pouring my heart out to a bunch of nameless people about how successful I am. I have real activities out in the real world with my real rich friends.
you sound like a jealous guy who is cynical of everyone who do better than you.