Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Advice / Opinions needed
View Single Post
Old 14-07-2015, 10:58 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
And that's the problem with youngsters these days. They say "sky's the limit", "you are what you limit yourself to be" and the likes, and fantasize about quick success. No doubt there will be successful stories, but most probably in the range of one in million. And can you be that one?

We are not trying to demean people from SIM, or that we are defeatist (in fearing people from Ivy Leagues). We are just setting expectations, that more often than not, we see people from Ivy Leagues getting those better jobs. Ask any HR folks and let them compare, and see who they will short-list. It's the harsh reality.

Singapore pride itself on meritocracy. Those who graduated from Ivy Leagues put in efforts to enter them, and therefore received a prestigous "brand". If for some reason or not you are unable to get that, the society won't go easy on you and let you have equal opportunities as these branded graduates would have. Unless of course you're well connected, or that you have outstanding CCAs/Internships. But if you're the average Joe from local Uni or SIM, even with outstanding academic credentials but nothing else, don't get your hopes high too up. Though you have higher chances than those with mediocre results.

In short, there is a hierarchy of graduates in the market, whether you choose to believe it or not. Afterall, it is the employers game, especially with everything now being "international". How are you to distinguish yourself from the rest, especially if you know your competitors are tough, and that you have nothing outstanding to boot? Youngsters these days really need a whack on their head to wake them up from their fairy tales.
Actually the previous poster is too optimistic about average performer can get 5 figure in mid 40s. . According to 2014 MOM numbers the average degree grad monthly salary including bonus & allowance peaks at $10,833 at the age of 50 - 55. If you can even see just your basic salary hit $10,000 in your lifetime technically is already considered above average for a degree holder.

I think a large part of these Gen Y/Z expectation is fueled by online interactions like these where people are just going about sharing stories of big pay big bonus. Social media like FB where lots of people often post luxurious dinning, travels, branded shopping etc. with the intention to boast subtly all create the impression that everyone is making big money easily these days.

I used to work in the credit card analysis department in a bank and often see the salary information from people of all age groups in all kinds of jobs. Honestly, the MOM numbers look more realistic compared to the nonsense here where most forumers claim to be making huge amounts with less than 10 years work exp. The experience I see here more resemble the top 10% of the PME market which I doubt this kind of people will all gather here.