Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Watching Millionaire Inside
View Single Post
Old 17-08-2010, 03:14 PM

lazyplane is on a distinguished road

Just not too clear on your story.

Is the skinflint also the one who keeps his pub to 80 per month ?

I am not sure, but well, 4 children + mother in law and especially university going children definitely takes a heavy toll of expenses. Not sure also if mother in law is old and requires medical expenses.

Anyway, I also feel daughter should not be so pissed since
all she wants is a good university application. And there are many other way to have that. One way is to STUDY HARD. Surely, she doesnt expect to dance your way around her grades right ?

Your story remind me of a case in point i recall many years back where a Director of bank (equivalent to MD now) stole money from a bank. he had terrific career record and even after the fraud was discovered, the management of the bank did not do a police case against him but just dismissed him. The reason he stole $$$, because 2+ years ago, mother got kidney failure and he used up all his savings for medical expenses as there was no insurance for his mother. Worse of all, mother passed away. I am quite sad to hear it, but it is the reality of things.

No one knows the future. Not the brightest, not the richest man. If they did, then they wouldnt be nice people because they would never had experience the very human side of things which is failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yeah. I know another skinflint who is a MD of a local bank, but when his daughter wanted to go for a dance competition in Europe costing around $4K, he refused to pay. Now he regrets it because she is pissed of with him and stood a chance of winning an award that would look good for her University application. Another girl not as good as her was sponsored by the school (as she was poor) for the same competition and won. The same guy manages to keep his PUB bill to $80 a month despite having 4 children and mother-in-law living with him. They have aircon but are seldom allowed to use it. He is obsessive about turning everything completely off when not in use. He ruined some computer equipment by pulling the power before it had time to shutdown.