Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - What is next? Commerical? Big 4?
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2015, 11:28 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCY View Post
Hi Senior,

I am in my mid 20s and in my final year of ACCA. I have around 2.5 years experience in commerical accounting. By luck, I was recommended by my previous employer's finance manager to a related company to lead the finance and I got the job of this SME with around 100 head counts.

I didnt study hard when I was young so I cannot make it to the big 4 and I understand for accounting the best experience is at big 4. Through my job, I have gotten contacts from big 4 and they say after I graduate they can pull me in.

My question is. After I graduated, should I sacrifice my pay and go big 4? Or should I stay in this company for next 1 and 2 years and earn the experience then continue in commerical accounting with a bigger firm as AM or M? Or any other advise?

And should I further study MBA? My intention to further study is not mainly because of $$$ but I want to gain more knowledge.

Hope seniors can give me advise. Thank you!
Hi KCY

I can't say for all the big 4, but I know at least in PWC there is no way they will make you a manager even if you stay in the SME for many years.

Big 4 main attraction is to be able to jump start into a global MNC straight away. As I see it, if your ultimate destination is to be do global/regional work in a huge organization, big 4 is the fastest way.

However if you feel that working in medium size enterprise is your cup of tea and you are content with slowly moving up and perhaps next time be a local CFO/ Finance Director of a smaller local company, you can just slowly move within the commercial space.

But one thing to take note is that it is easier for a global MNC regional finance manager to move into bigger roles in smaller companies, but very difficult for a senior level finance person in a non-MNC to move the other way round.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app