Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Civil/Public Sector - Ministry/Stat Boards employees knowledge needed!
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 12:58 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks for the replies.

So just doing what is required of you is below average performance? Because when I look at some people I know who are doing fine in public sector jobs, I doubt they are really super hardworking or 'adding value' but rather just doing their jobs competently. I'm not saying I will shirk my work or try to slack but just that I won't have a 'go out of my way or devote my life to my job' kind of mindset.

I'm 27 (male). I have been working in a low pay/bad hours industry since graduating and I am sick of it and feel like there's more to life than working. Plus personally I'm not ambitious about climbing career ladder or driving sports cars or other material luxuries so I just want to earn enough to lead a middle class kind of life (which I understand is also difficult nowadays). People will condemn me as 'lazy' or 'strawberry' maybe but I don't really feel like I have to cave in to peer pressure.

I would much rather serve the public and make some kind of difference/feel like my work matters, even just a bit, rather than work in the private sector just to line the pockets of some organisation. Right now I sometimes enjoy the actual work I do but at the end of the day I don't think I make more of a difference to anyone other than my company's pockets. Even a mcdonald's server makes a more impactful imprint on the world than me sometimes so it's quite sian.

BUT as I mentioned at the end of the day I'm still a selfish person la, I want time for myself and my own interests outside of work which my current job/boss is really threatening.
from your expression, you don't seem too intend to serve the public, hope you are not trying to get a job in the civil service just to have a easy life, give minimum contribution and get paid pretty well and the frequent bonuses...the civil service shouldn't be getting people like this...