Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Million Dollar Civil Servant Censured in Parliament
View Single Post
Old 19-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Salary.sg

Default Million Dollar Civil Servant Censured in Parliament

Minister in charge of civil service, Teo Chee Hean, censured Tan Yong Soon in parliament for his boastful article (see perm sec flaunts wealth), saying it "showed a lack of sensitivity and was ill-judged."
Quote:
"The Head of Civil Service has spoken to Mr Tan about this to make these points, and asked Mr Tan to take note of the feedback and learn from this episode. The Head of Civil Service has followed up to write to Mr Tan to put the matter on the record."
But I'm disappointed not to have read a single letter in ST Forum or Today or my paper regarding this.

Either the ST editors deliberately want a "radio silence" (media blackout) on this problematic matter (why didn't they realise the problem before publishing Tan Yong Soon's travelogue?), or that forum writers refuse to write on this, knowing too well that such letters won't be published anyway.

But even Reuters UK reported on the outcry. Goes to show how our local reporters and editors are so focused on other more important issues. (I say this with sarcasm, in case you don't notice.)

Actually, Minister Teo Chee Hean was responding to a query from NMP Siew Kum Hong, who asked if there were guidelines in place to ensure that senior civil servants conduct themselves "appropriately and sensitively".

If the NMP hadn't asked the question in parliament, I wonder if this matter would just quietly fade away, with the coordinated "radio silence".

http://www.salary.sg/2009/million-do...in-parliament/