Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Civil/Public Sector - Ministry/Stat Boards employees knowledge needed!
View Single Post
Old 30-06-2015, 04:05 PM
Unregistered

Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not in Ministry. You would just be deem as probably a D performer with minimum work done.
So just doing what is required of you is below average performance? Because when I look at some people I know who are doing fine in public sector jobs, I doubt they are really super hardworking or 'adding value' but rather just doing their jobs competently. I'm not saying I will shirk my work or try to slack but just that I won't have a 'go out of my way or devote my life to my job' kind of mindset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
just curious, how old are you? cause if youngster, they should have more drive in getting good performance so that they can get better bonus or even better, promotion.
I'm 27 (male). I have been working in a low pay/bad hours industry since graduating and I am sick of it and feel like there's more to life than working. Plus personally I'm not ambitious about climbing career ladder or driving sports cars or other material luxuries so I just want to earn enough to lead a middle class kind of life (which I understand is also difficult nowadays). People will condemn me as 'lazy' or 'strawberry' maybe but I don't really feel like I have to cave in to peer pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbearus View Post
It depends on whether you have the passion to serve the public (and the greater good of the society). It does not matter whether you are in Ministry or SB, but the task you are assigned and working on.

The various aspects you mentioned can be managed or build up over time, as long as you are teachable.
I would much rather serve the public and make some kind of difference/feel like my work matters, even just a bit, rather than work in the private sector just to line the pockets of some organisation. Right now I sometimes enjoy the actual work I do but at the end of the day I don't think I make more of a difference to anyone other than my company's pockets. Even a mcdonald's server makes a more impactful imprint on the world than me sometimes so it's quite sian.

BUT as I mentioned at the end of the day I'm still a selfish person la, I want time for myself and my own interests outside of work which my current job/boss is really threatening.