Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 19-06-2015, 05:11 PM
Unregistered

There are many reasons why people continue in their line of work even though they may feel tired, jaded or stressed. They could feel a deep sense of duty/responsibility to the company or work team. Rightly or wrongly they could also feel that they are indispensable. There are others who also loved their jobs and are therefore prepared to make sacrifices like working long hours and go on long business trips. Then there are those who stayed on on their jobs because they have no more market value. Last but not least there is always the monetary rewards of working.

In my case, it is a combination of all the above factors. If I were to quit now, there could be big disruption to the project my team is working on. I also welcome the overseas business trips as a means to break the monotony of working here. At 55, my market value is not what it used to be. I don't think I could walk into a new job at my current remuneration. And yes, the financial benefits of my current is quite attractive.

The question is not about retiring. For me, it is about what to do in retirement. The prospect of doing nothing, living life aimlessly, is not appealing to me. We have achieved financial security 5 years at 50, and we found that we would have a more meaningful life working as compared to retirement with no purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How old are you? If you are more than 50 and have a total net worth (you and wife) of more than $2m, you can retire now. What's the point of working so hard and not being able to enjoy your hard earned wealth?

Worst, you die at 55 and leaving behind your millions to your children who then no longer need to work for the rest of their lives and enjoying your wealth.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app