Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Watching Millionaire Inside
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Unregistered

Default midlife

Thanks guys for quick reply. Yes, Whizzard I saw the bunnies at Raffles Place.

Some comments to the earlier email.

1. My life is quite simple actually. I don't really need to travel Business Class on holidays and Top Class hotels, I have done enough of that in my business trips. I enjoy doing holidays and experiencing the trip rather than how I get there or where I stay, I like driving holidays for that reason. I came from a humble family background and did not go for my first holiday until I was 18, so I don't crave for the luxurious holidays, just comfortable ones for me will do. But it is a fair point, that currently my passive income of $6K per month is not sufficient enough to lead a carefree life.

I can easily live a comfortable life on a passive income of $10K/month including providing for family and kid's education, I am not there yet but 45 years is when I plan to get to a passive income of $15K/month. I am only 38 years, so got a couple of years to try to achieve the goal.

2. Yes, you could say that I am somewhat of a boring guy, relatively predictable. My investments have been conservative as I do not have time to keep trading in and out, I have also lost a fair share of money in the small caps which i think are just not worth the effort unless you have time and guts.

Yes, I thought of buying a 2nd hand sports car. But not sure if it will really add much excitement after a while, I currently drive a Audi Q5. When i first got it, sure it gave me a lot of pleasure driving it after a while it just becomes a vehicle. Just like when I got 1-2 nice watches for myself, after a while they just become a watch to tell time. I don't think necessarily buying expensive things is the answer to a mid life crisis for everyone. Girlfriend is further out for me, for me handle wife enough already.

3. I am currently in a semi-management role managing a team of 4-5 people, I guess the next move is into senior management to manage a larger platform.

But I think the key takeaway I hear is that don’t retire, keep active even if it is for less money and something easier.

Guess my new plan by 45 years now would be:

1. Reach SGD5mil in liquid asssets,
2. Generate $15K/month passive income
3. Find a new job
4. Pay off debt on investment property
5. Maybe, just maybe buy a new car (had always been eyeing the Maserati grand turismo or quattroporte)

John