Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Watching Millionaire Inside
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Millionaire Member

whizzard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Unlike Whizzard, at least you admit you are in a mid-life crisis. Just do what most people do. Buy a Porsche and get a girlfriend
Hahaahahaha ....... How did I get dragged into this?

Contrary to any so called mid-life crisis, I am having a ball right now! I still get "high" each time I land a new mandate. I enjoy strolling around Raffles Place during lunch cos' it's never a dull moment over there. Just a few days ago I saw some yummy bunnies distributing some pamphlets there. But, I was waylaid by a gorgeous property agent trying to sell me a condo and we ended up having a great conversation on property investments and the rental market. Gorgeous and knowledgeable, now that's a lethal combination.

Yes, don't retire. If you are feeling burnt out, quickly take a short holiday to recharge. I didn't retire, I was retrenched at the onset of the GFC. As luck would have it, I was fortunate to be able to get a new job within a few months and I am back in the game again, Woots! Those few months without a job was depressing. One moment you are a managing director of so and so bank with a secretary to manage your work life, corporate goals to deliver and a team of people to manage and help you deliver. Next moment, you are a nobody!

All your friends are busy with their work life, there's only so much news, magazines, books and golf you can play .... I turned to a new game on how to drive my wife and children crazy! The lunches with friends grew less and less regular and you find yourself feeling less and less in touch with the goings on of the corporate world. No fun at all!

Back to the corporate world, I had to struggle to establish myself in the new place. After delivering some low hanging fruits, it was tough going, well at least for the first 9 months. Fortunately, at the end of the year, I managed to exceed the target set for me. Now, life is much easier. I get to decide whether I want to travel as often or less frequently. During the first 6 months of this year, I chalked up 20 round trips! Then I spent the entire month of July in Singapore and feeling recharged again, will travel again weekly starting next week until the end of the month. Don't retire. Life will feel less exciting.

The money factor is another thing. Yes, your passive income may be adequate for you to get on with life. But, you'll feel very reluctant to indulge or splurge. Well, at least I felt that during my couple of months in the wilderness. With a regular income and bonuses, I am having the time of my life. Before my retrenchment, I was always in wealth accumulation mode. Now, I just splurge away my regular income and bonus, knowing that my passive income is doing the wealth accumulation for me. It's a great lifestyle knowing how to spend instead of just accumulating away.

Midlife crisis is an individual thing I feel. If you life is well occupied and hectic, there's just no time to develop a midlife crisis. An idle mind is the devil's workshop and if you are busy, it's pretty hard to find time to explore the meaning of life. You are just living from hour to hour, managing your work life, your family life and your bunch of friends.

Keep busy and if you do feel tired, take a break but don't retire. Well, that's my opinion anyway.

And yes, I did buy a Porsche but it's a 4-door Panamera. Hardly a midlife crisis car, wouldn't you say?