Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - SIM RMIT cant find job
View Single Post
Old 14-06-2015, 01:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
One of the most practical and sensible threads I have read in a long time. Fresh grads please note. There are also ways to a successful and fulfilling career outside of banking. While 'prestige, wealth and opportunity to join socialite circle' sometimes does happen, don't worry, it won't be you unless you happen to be big shot GM of region or something equivalent of that level. And as one of the zillions of middle or back office analysts at CBP, it's a bit akin to climbing K2. Jumping from bank as superstar into investment can happen but only for a select few rainmakers, not for the general banking population. You will know when you are one of the few. If you have to ask how, you are probably not cut out for it.

I agree that oil & gas tends to pay pretty well. I have quite a number of friends in that industry and they seem pretty happy. But I hear it is damn difficult to get in.
To be fair, banking does pay well for some of the functions not just limited to the FOs. But it is not easy to make it into that bracket. Backstabbing, office politics or equivalent are much more prevalent within the banking circle, if you are on the wrong side of the politics well more or less you are screwed. And banking more or less is a cut throat environment, and we'll definitely have idiots trying to stir shits even in the MO / BO.

Most freshies have the misconception that getting a job in banking equates a step ahead of your peers in other industries. Not quite actually, getting a job in banking simply means you are just a ordinary office worker, slave to your boss / supervisor, serving as their pawns for their KPIs which is the same everywhere. How about grad management programme? Sounds atas for you freshies lah, but for us who are already in the trench, grad trainees are basically filling up vacant spots in whichever department short of manpower.