Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - SIM RMIT cant find job
View Single Post
Old 14-06-2015, 12:17 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yar very much what my headhunter friend tells me as well. She said actually most people choose banking because they think it will bring prestige, wealth and opportunity to join socialite circle. Sometimes there is also this perception that if one day you get tired of banking, being such a superstar you can easily get jobs in other companies on the investment or finance side.

In terms of pay her view is that banking is very strong in certain front office investment related jobs and above average for most other jobs. The all rounder top payer seems to be big OIL, she shared wth me their exploration & trading side can match the top investment banks while the rest of the normal operations, sales & support functions are much higher than the banks on average.
One of the most practical and sensible threads I have read in a long time. Fresh grads please note. There are also ways to a successful and fulfilling career outside of banking. While 'prestige, wealth and opportunity to join socialite circle' sometimes does happen, don't worry, it won't be you unless you happen to be big shot GM of region or something equivalent of that level. And as one of the zillions of middle or back office analysts at CBP, it's a bit akin to climbing K2. Jumping from bank as superstar into investment can happen but only for a select few rainmakers, not for the general banking population. You will know when you are one of the few. If you have to ask how, you are probably not cut out for it.

I agree that oil & gas tends to pay pretty well. I have quite a number of friends in that industry and they seem pretty happy. But I hear it is damn difficult to get in.