Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - SIM RMIT cant find job
View Single Post
Old 13-06-2015, 09:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Funny thing is industries like oil & gas, luxury goods, property finance and even certain life science / pharma niche are able to pay higher salary & bonus than banks, but you hardly hear any of these freshies rushing for them. Instead all like sheeps going for all sorts of low paying MO/BO banking jobs or big4 associate types.
I work in a bank specifically in the compliance function (aml focused and other general compliance like licensing, etc).. TBH, like several posters mentioned here, TS might want to consider all other options carefully.... Yes, compliance is the "hot" thing now but not for freshies. No banks will want to pay you above the market average just to rope you in.. even if they do, don't be expecting sky high package (2.7-3.2K on avg for freshies).. Though my employer is paying me pretty okay considering I only have barely 2yrs of exp (about 65K p.a total). The thing is, I got lucky knowing the "right" people when serving my contract job during my holidays...

Okay let's not talk about me... Long gone are the glory days of banking.. Yes, banking still pays better across the board as compared to other industries but the difference can be negligible considering the workload, volume, stress and volatility, bla bla. Esp in the area of compliance, the entry levels are stupidly dull and boring. The amount of exposure and skillsets you can pick up heavily depends on your managers and senior staffs whether they want to "impart" you with the knowledge or not...

Dear RMIT freshie, i've seen many ppl came along wanting to make a mark for their own and end up crashing out before anything could hpn... There are many greener pasture out there.. I could tell you at entry levels, compliance (or i would coined it as compliance aml/cft ops) is forming a bubble.. Look at that few banks in Changi biz park and the number of people they employ / poaching from.. When the bubble burst, its gonna hit everyone really hard...