Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - SIM-RMIT fresh grad starting pay
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2015, 05:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
*** the question i have for all this pte uni ppl who keep saying deg & school not important, companies just want streetsmart, network, value add etc, is why then do u even bother to get a pte uni deg?

if things are really as simple as u all say, just know the right people & work hard, why not u all just stick with ur diploma or ite cert? afterall base on this kind of logic, nobody care abt ur school & cert few years into the job rite?

someone even gave 4 super generic pts:

1) value add to the organisation
2) bring in sales
3) retain customers
4) Know the right people (Including bosses) - This one
literally throw all u have studied out of the window.

for non-technical jobs, the 4 pts look like even a N level can do it if he wants to, why study for anything beyond then?

because deep in our hearts we all know that statistically speaking the better the cert/school, the better the career prospects. even if we know that sometimes a psle dropout can do better in life than a phd, we acknowldge these are and will always be exceptions. ***

Somewhat agree with the 2 comments made above. I myself am from RMIT. I believe some jobs really do require a degree. To cut it short, I believe we need to be open-minded. That's the most important thing, respect that each (local and pte) have our strong points.

And throw out the stereotype that local = booksmart and not streetsmart and
pte = streetsmart and not booksmart. there are ppl out there who can be both.

Anw, i would like to post a question actually lol... what is the job function of treasury sales like? when i read the job requirements i feel like giving it a try. Like those kinda fx, money market manager roles.

Thanks in advance! Feel free to give me comments about what i said, I'll gladly engage in a discussion with you!
treasury sales is a role that you will not find sim people in it. FO IB roles do not hire from sim simply because it is a technical job. pls don't tell me DBS/UOB FO selling credit cards.

the syllabus and standard that sim subjects its students too are and never will be equivalent to the other schools. for example, sim has to moderate the bell curve upwards to help its students pass, despite the lax marking standard, whereas nus marks the students down to prevent a glut of FCH. by the way, in nus, one is benchmarked against the best in his cohort, and FTs from around the world. in sim, one is benchmarked against working adults who have no time to study or people who cant qualify for the local schools.

pls find me someone who can truthfully put his hand to his heart and say he rejected nus for sim. street smart? don't be naïve. tell that guy whos driving a c class, earning 10k a month at a major IB fo position who has a degree from nus that hes not street smart.