Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2015, 10:10 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm 23 male finished with NS. School lab technician TSO. The money is decent but I feel like I want to teach because I want to be challenged and I know I can step up my game when it comes to Singapore's youths.

Thanks for your advice but considering I really wanna teach, do you think getting overseas degree than getting into PDGE is the better choice?
I see, thanks for the info. Honestly I would recommend you try to take up some teaching/tuition assignments in private education companies as a hobby/sideline if you really feel passionate about teaching.

Reason I say this based on my experience, the teacher route through MOE for you is just not practical for you:

1) NIE/PGDE - Ideal route, but with a seriously deficient diploma result and a lackluster career experience as, chances of you getting is close to 0. After all, teacher is one of those rare jobs where good academics is very important. Sometimes exceptions can be made if the candidate has demonstrated rich working experience, but this is certainly not the case for you with just a couple of years as a lab tech.

2) Study in UK - Seriously not a good idea. In order for you to be competitive with the local u grads, you will need to either grab a degree from a prestigious u (which prob u can't get in anyway) or go for higher level studies up to Masters or PHD.

If you think about the economics it just doesn't make sense. Going UK to study is gonna cost you at least S$70k a year all-in. 4-5 years there can easily cost you $300k+, you come back even if you get a typical GEO job, the pay inclusive of everything is only $50k+ p.a. Even if you save 100% of salary and dont eat dont drink also need 6 years to recoup the study expenses.

No logic in this deal at all. Look at it from your age also. You now 23, after study maybe 27/28, after paying off student loan already mid 30s. Essentially you end up with zero savings/net worth in your mid 30s and armed with only a junior teacher CV. Very bad idea.