Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Stagnant with no opportunities
View Single Post
Old 31-07-2010, 10:05 PM

Perspective is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advice View Post
I am in a similar situation as the topic starter. I am in a comfortable job that I love and find true meaning in. I never have problem waking up to face the day and truly enjoy most part of what I do. Unfortunately, this isn't the kind of high flyer career that takes you to places. The salary is comfortable and I have had enough time and savings to invest and am making a good 5% to 8% returns annually. I earn a comfortable living and will enjoy the same sort of stability within the near future of say 10 years or so if I stay in my job.

However I have gotten really dissatisfied over the last 2 years. I am seeing some of my friends, especially those who are unmarried and without kids move into senior positions, something I can never dream of myself becoming. I tried to interview for jobs but were either rejected or ignored.

I know I should count my blessings, but it is easier said than done. I am only in my 30s and have a good 30 years more before retirement. In 10 years time, I see myself lagging behind even more of my peers. But moving out of my current job means a pay cut and many many overtimes and job instability.

Will you move? What will you do if you were me?
There's never an easy answer to this question.

I don't want to get all preachy and tell everyone to "count their blessings" because everyone has a different take on life.

Ultimate, every decision made has a cost. Don't think you'll get anything for free. Even your successful friends would have paid some "cost." You pointed out those who are unmarried or without kids are doing well. Perhaps that in itself is a "cost?"

But if you're a risk taker, and seeking challenges is part of your character and personality, then it's also not wrong to "take the plunge" and try to get further in your career.

I think you should have a good idea of my take on this topic so I don't think I'll need to elaborate.

But the one thing I'll add is that envy feeds upon itself. There's always a higher mountain to climb - where do you stop? When will you say "OK, that's enough?" If you benchmark yourself against you friends, you'll always find someone who's doing a little better than you are, and the race will never end.

Perhaps you should also take stock of what you've already achieved, instead of looking at what you think you haven't?

In fact, I dare say your discipline in saving is something you should be proud of. It seems you're already well on your way to financial independence. That's something that's quite commendable. I am told quite a few of these "successful" types actually don't have a good retirement plan. It's easy in, easy out.