Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Stagnant with no opportunities
View Single Post
Old 31-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perspective View Post
This possibly isn't the practical advice you may want, because truthfully, I'm not familiar with your field. But I think too many young Singaporeans are getting cynical and disillusioned because by competiting with each other, and using career progression and $ as a benchmark, they're heading towards unrealistic, unsustainable zones.

There's really more to life!

And I think I can say that to you without feeling bad because $6K a month at 28 years is very good. I earned half as much, and that wasn't too long ago!
I am in a similar situation as the topic starter. I am in a comfortable job that I love and find true meaning in. I never have problem waking up to face the day and truly enjoy most part of what I do. Unfortunately, this isn't the kind of high flyer career that takes you to places. The salary is comfortable and I have had enough time and savings to invest and am making a good 5% to 8% returns annually. I earn a comfortable living and will enjoy the same sort of stability within the near future of say 10 years or so if I stay in my job.

However I have gotten really dissatisfied over the last 2 years. I am seeing some of my friends, especially those who are unmarried and without kids move into senior positions, something I can never dream of myself becoming. I tried to interview for jobs but were either rejected or ignored.

I know I should count my blessings, but it is easier said than done. I am only in my 30s and have a good 30 years more before retirement. In 10 years time, I see myself lagging behind even more of my peers. But moving out of my current job means a pay cut and many many overtimes and job instability.

Will you move? What will you do if you were me?