Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Big 4 vs Govt Sector
View Single Post
Old 26-05-2015, 09:34 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertrouper View Post
I will be graduating next year and am considering going to Big 4 or straight into public sector.

Some background info:
Accounting degree from NTU, expected to graduate with a second upper class honours, female so no NS, graduating in 2016.

Can I get some advice, what are the differences (eg. Pay? How much should I expect for public sector in the accounting department? Career prospects?) between Big 4 and civil service?

My dilemma is the lack of work life balance in big 4, such as working till 3am. In that aspect, civil service seems better. But big 4 would bring me more possible career paths, am I right?

For civil service, I'm looking mainly at MinLaw, Mindef or MOH. But not sure what's the culture like in these 3.

Would appreciate any advice on which path/company would you guys recommend or not recommend. Big 4 or public sector? And if public sector, which would you recommend? Thanks!
May I ask why these 3 Ministry in particular? Then are you looking into going into corporate side (e.g. Audit or Finance) or the policy side? Because that will make a difference as to where you want to go.

Also, what are your long term plans. I.e, what do you envisage yourself to be doing at age 50? Would you want to practice what you've learned, and be an expert in it? If so, would advise you to go private. But if you want to earn sufficient money, able to take care of children and home, then perhaps public sector will be more suited for you.

You need to think through in deeper what you want first, before people can advise you further.