Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Any of you guys grad with private degree working in govt job?
View Single Post
Old 26-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Others

Hey there, I'm a private U-grad. Unlike most of the people who joined as Poly grads, I joined when I completed my 'A' levels in 2002 (after NS). I qualified for some pointless courses in the public Uni and most other courses in private Unis, but financial problems then prevented me from joining. Looong story, which would be irrelevant.

Anyway, I joined as the 2nd lowest rank in the Civil Service (CSO) earning around 1.3k per month, and when I finally afforded and completed my degree I was 30. Starting pay at my current job is 3.2k, and all the previous experience is not counted (which is unfair, but what to do? HR in the civil service not exactly negotiable.). So technically, I'm starting off a fresh grad (2nd upper). To answer your questions:

1) Did i state an amount too wide of a difference? Coz usually fresh grad could command around 2.5k depending on the ministries.
A: It depends on the classification of your honours; but 2.5 (no honours, without NS) to 3k+ (good honours, with NS) is the typical range.

2) Any of you guys working in any ministries/stat boards with a private degree (long distance, uniSIM etc.) starting out as MX13/12 etc?
A: I have a long distance part-time degree from the UK. Starting out MX13 (though my Current Estimated Potential, or CEP when I was a CSO was already MX13). MX13 is the typical grade to start off. After a year's probation and some induction tests, you get promoted to MX12 (or not, depending on whether they find you suitable for the post), which is the base grade for Civil Service Graduates.