Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Which degree is more relevant and marketable?
View Single Post
Old 30-04-2015, 10:51 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by humblehustler View Post
thanks for the heads up!

in addition, to continue where i left off,

''another point is that i understand that banks themselves when recruiting do not do advertise on a public scale. also, am not from what others may call a ''well to do'' family and certainly do not have many proficient network that could ''pull strings'' me in into bank positions. ''

so is the any other potential channels that i could possibly turn to after i have graduated?

hope the advises keep coming in, cheers!

*always know if the juice is worth the squeeze*
Hi,

As I mentioned earlier, it is not that banks do not advertise on a public scale, they usually focus on places that they know they are going to recruit candidates - base on past experiences, banks would know where the stream of their candidates are going to come from. I am not sure about the local universities cuz I study in the UK, but I suppose that there will be some companies who visit recruitment events in the local universities that do not go to other private universities in Singapore.

However, whether they visit or not is inconsequential, you can still apply for internship schemes or grad schemes. Personally, I study in a school that have all these events, and I have never ever attended one of such events, and I have secured a job. So really, the most important is to know the general direction your heading. I think the biggest challenge now for you is to plot how you are going to secure a good penultimate summer internship. The way forward is to start by accumulating experience in smaller firms through cold-calling or emailing their hr to ask whether they can accommodate you for internships. That way when the time comes for application for your penultimate year, you are in good stead to show why you have shown interest in that particular field.

Honestly, I think that most of the candidates who have secured "good jobs" have went through their own effort, I don't think that the 'pulling string' occurs as frequently as you might think they exist. So really, your most realistic chance of securing a good job is through your own effort, there really isn't any other channels. Ultimately, you have to convince the interviewer and the assessor that you are good enough, even if someone gets you there, you don't have the necessary background to show enough interest, you would be booted regardless.