Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Some questions on office politics and streetsmart-ness
View Single Post
Old 25-04-2015, 03:30 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Office politics permeate throughout the ranks of the corporate world...be it junior level or senior exec level.... i once saw two junior contract employees joined my ex company..guy was a fresh grad while female was close to 30....being in the working world for a longer time, the female played politics and backstabbed the young fresh grad who knew nothing much about threading in the political corporate world...but this guy is hardworking...

The female ganged up with the mid level people in tekan-ing this poor boy....but one thing went in the way of the young guy...he was hardworking and willing to take all **** as learning experience ...he caught the attention of senior management as well....

When there was an opportunity for a perm job elsewhere he jumped ship and now was doing very well ...due to some reasons and restructuring, the backstabber lost her contract job and was jobless for quite some time....

So at the end of the day, politics can help in the short run but if a person is of no substance, he can fool one manager, fool two seniors....but when crunch time comes and in layoff times, hardworkingness prevails ....
I agree with you but i always wonder about this as well, what happens if a badstabber/loser/jerk/wayang king plays politics but at the same time is extremely hardworking and competent? I am saying this because i have seen really capable people who work hard and play politics to his/her favour while climbing up. Lol these people dont get axed...