Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 23-04-2015, 08:47 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How times have changed.

Car ownership used to be a status symbol. Back when I was still a student (in the 80s), owning a car means you are atas, you are one up on your neighbour. Not many people could afford cars then, so when you have one you are telling the world you have arrived.

Nowadays, so many people/families own cars that when your family doesn't have one, people look at you like you are not quite there. So owning cars becomes a part of the rite of passage of growing up, getting a job and starting a family. People are not in awe of you when you own a car, as they expect that you/your family should have one. My colleague who resisted having a car told me that his mother-in-law asked him repeatedly when he will be getting his car saying that it would be easier to move the family around and it would be more comfortable for the family. He bought one last year and everyone especially the parents-in-laws were satisfied. He was glad he did, saying that he didn't know a car could bring the family closer together as they now go out together. Last time, his children would go out on their own and he and his wife would take public transport to work separately. So you can imagine that families would be rushing to get a replacement car once their old cars reach 10 years!
Really ah?

Me and wife makes 285k pa. With employer cpf that will be 315k+.
Absolutely no desire to own a depreciating asset..
Live in a fully paid EA.
looking for a second property so that can rent out EA.

The real status symbol is a second property IN Singapore (not horizon hill or dolphin island,ok LOL!).