Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Is a degree necessary for career progression in logistics?
View Single Post
Old 21-04-2015, 12:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowPayCowBull View Post
Hi, new here. Came here to seek advice as I graduated from poly not too long ago. I picked a field of study based on my family's suggestions and now regret it as I do not enjoy the field. I have recently been offered a job in the logistics line but it has no relevance to my diploma whatsoever(engineering based). If I work hard, will I be able to reach managerial level in the years to come or will I forever be held back by my qualifications?
Depends on what you mean by "managerial level". If you mean jobs like junior supervisory types with a few non-exec underlings reporting to you with a fancy "manager" job title, then I think diploma is ok. Anyway these jobs are paid only 4-5k+ not much business thinking and strategy planning needed also. As long as you don't screw up big time and perform consistently, should be able to get by late 30s / early 40s.

If you mean real managers that head departments with control on budgets, manpower resource, strategy planning & system expenditure, then it is always advantageous if you have a relevant degree. It is not 100% a must, but will help greatly especially if you are in large global MNCs.