Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Dilemma
Thread: Dilemma
View Single Post
Old 19-04-2015, 03:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi

Thanks for the response. I'm aware of the exit opps and the career track in London and in NY. However, there seem to be very little discussion and resources on consulting in Singapore. Moreover, it seemed that the big 4 do not recruit many fresh grads MCers (excluding tech), so it is difficult to track career paths even from linkedin.

My real purpose for starting the thread is really to find out more about the consulting scene in SG as SG is where I see my career developing in the future.
Ah, ok. No problem, happy to discuss your situation. You're right in saying that the big 4 do not recruit many fresh grads into their MC division, anywhere between 5 and under 10 new hires per year as an estimate. [source: I was recently in the recruitment process of several big 4 firms and spoke to a few hiring managers].

I've been to several networking events and the MC practices in the big 4 have a good mix of local students and foreigners, whereas the Tax and Audit practices are largely saturated with local hires. As far as I am aware, the career paths of current Associates or Business Analysts (BA) (being the starting undergrad positions) should be quite similar to those overseas. Whereas there may be more traveling in the US/Europe, most of the engagements here will be in the home country, or around the region. Hours vary depending on the nature of the engagement and the client, of course, so you could be getting off work at 5:30pm for one project and stay till midnight daily on another [based on what current MCers here say]. Therefore, how long you stay really depends on what you want to do and your end goal be it b-school after 2-3 years or joining F500 strategy for example. Some MCers leave after a few years to go into industry or get a postgrad degree and come back to make partner later on. Try searching Deloitte Consulting/PwC Advisory or MC on LinkedIn, there are several relevant profiles there.

Just for some context, I am a big 4 Consultant. All the best.