Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Market Analyst
Thread: Market Analyst
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2015, 12:51 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Depends on what oil firm it is really. If it's the 3 big oil then prospects are very good as these co are big and not short of budget to grow & develop ppl. If its others then take note that the whole industry is now under crisis and best to be cautious.

If your aspiration is trader/broker, then this job doesn't help as energy trading is a very closed niche community, even more than other forms like commodities or currency. To get into energy trading is more about luck and picking a right mentor then anything else if you ask me.

TBH looking at the hap hazard impromptu way the interview and meeting is being conducted, I suspect the company is pretty disorganised and the job probably admin operational, i.e. they just want somebody to get in & do the work asap. No harm going down to learn more though...

3-3.5k is the normal asking pay for the 3 local uni degree with honours, so your expectations are quite reasonable and most companies should be ok.
It is within the top 50 of fortune global 500 list. I suppose it's not that bad? I guess I'll have to get a better understanding when I head for the interview. Yes, the crisis is troubling.

Thanks for the tips, I honestly have no idea about gaining entry to that niche sector. I have previously tried energy related IB firm but unfortunately failed to move past the final round. I know it's difficult, but can be done *positive*. On that front, what advice will you offer to a fresh grad like myself in order to get into energy trading?

I feel that I am seeking a job that allows me to learn about the industry, never mind about high starting salary as long as I am able to feed myself and repay my student loans, I am more keen to learn than dreaming of earning more than I am worth now. I guess if it entails me doing mindless duties than I should be better off hunting for another job.

Perhaps the reason why the prompt response is because I have met most of the requirements they stated on the posting? I have picked up some knowledge on SQL and VBA back in poly, which most of my fellow course mates probably would not know at this stage.

On your last point, I am from local uni but I am not taking hons. Will that expectation still be reasonable?