Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Market Analyst
Thread: Market Analyst
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 09:56 PM
Verified Member

bookwormm is on a distinguished road
Default Market Analyst

Hi, I will soon graduate from nus (econs major) and I am doing a 3 year course. I have previously graduated from poly and I am applying for a market analyst job in an oil firm.

As I have met most of the requirements posted for the position, the HR personnel called me within 10 minutes upon my submission and I was engaged in a surprise phone interview. After a good 15 minute conversation I was invited down for a face-to-face interview sometime during the coming week.

Now my questions are:
1) Fellow forumers who are in the similar field, can you break down what kind of job will this be?

I understand that it will most likely be the average mundane job, but I suppose it will give me a good head start to gain better foundation over the oil industry?

2) What will it's prospects be?

As of now I hope to first establish a good understanding of this industry before considering further progression (perhaps trader/ broker). I honestly think this job will lead me nowhere, but all in all, what are you take about this position?

3) What starting salary should I be asking? I quoted 3.2 to 3.4k (market rate)

When I was asked through the phone interview, I was surprised the interviewer seemed agreeable even though I quoted this amount without any proper research done. But for fellow readers, what are your opinions?