Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Alternative careers for a Law student
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2015, 09:52 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpro View Post
Im sorry but no, its not something that Ive thought about.

would you mind explaining to me how my law degree might apply to a career in compliance, and how do I go about starting on this path with no banking or business background?

thank you
This is what I know for banks (but may be applicable to other industries too). Compliance has been a growing division among the financial services industries due to increasing amounts of regulatory issues that are required to be met. This has caused the pay in compliance to have risen quite significantly over the past years (it's high, I'm not sure if it is comparable to big law).

Banks like to hire lawyers for their compliance department. Here are a few examples on Linkedin (there are many around):
- s://.linkedin.com/pub/mark-edwards/23/b99/87
- s://.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=68517503&authType=name&authToken=5lHf&trk= prof-sb-browse_map-photo

For greater details on the increasing demand and relevancy, you can refer to this article: ://blogs.reuters.com/financial-regulatory-forum/2014/12/03/u-s-compliance-education-expands-as-demand-increases-part-one-law-schools/

For greater details on the various aspects of law that are relevant to compliance, you can refer to this article: ://.michaelpage.com/our-expertise/banking-and-financial-services/compliance