Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Really that bad for engineers?
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2010, 11:14 PM
Millionaire Member

Wiseman1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Why engineering need 4 yrs to complete but bank & finance or accountancy only take 3 year? Why a 4 yrs engineering course can't be drawing higher salary or as prestige as a law studies (4 yrs) or Medicine course (5,6 yrs)?

If a 4 yrs course earning lesser that a 3 yrs course with inclusive of 1 yrs of opportunity cost losses, who will want to take up engineering course?
It is a no brainer to choose Acct/Finance careers over Engineering careers, at least in Singapore, due to the following:
(1)Singapore is a Global Finance/Banking Hub, not Eng/Science Hub
(2)Short 3 yr Uni Direct Honours course in Acct/Finance compared to 4 yr for Engineering
(3) Significantly lower tuition fees for Finance courses compared to Eng courses
(4) Relaxing undergraduate life with 16 hr study week for Acct/Finance courses compared with 40 hr gruelling study week for Eng courses (with plentiful time left to chase skirts)
(5) Upon graduation, likely to work in nice swanky downtown offices, dress in nice power suits and surrounded by attractive young office gals compared to Engineering jobs mostly in some ulu parts of Jurong/Tuas surrounded by foreign male technicians

This is my real life experience based on what I saw my Eng friends went through. I am a Acct/Finance grad and never regretted my choice. You only need 1 Financial Controller/Director in 1 MNC but you need many Engineers, so who will be better compensated? The answer is obvious. I graduated about 13 yrs ago, am 36 yrs old and makes about 15K a month as a Finance Director in a software company. My Buddy slog in Engineering line for about 10years before being made an Eng manager and he is only making half of what I make. No offence to Engineers here but what I have said here are facts!!