Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 17-02-2015, 09:03 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hold your horses please. I merely said that MA programmes at MNCs are ridiculously difficult to get into and nothing about not being able to make it. Well, that said I didn't bother applying because I am well aware that the competition is very stiff and I stand little or no chance given that i'm no overachiever/FCH smarty pants. But contrary to your (warped) reasoning, the unimaginable happened - I applied for 3 MA programmes in the public sector and have been shortlisted. Don't be such a wet blanket.

Given that 2nd upper grads are usually offered $3000-$3500, it's unlikely (though not impossible) that one would be drawing more than $4000 after serving in the public sector for 2 years, no? I've, however, seen plenty of MNCs offering $4000 and above for at least 2 of experience so it seems that the salary for a HR Generalist/Executive in the private sector isn't all that bad.

As for your last point, an increase in headcount does not negate one's experience as a HR generalist. I wouldn't be so quick to write if off as irrelevant. When people switch jobs, it's because they think they have gained sufficient knowledge and expertise to take on additional responsibilities, justifying a pay increment. Hence, isn't it a normal occurrence for them to apply for a job that's more demanding?!? From the way you phrase it, one's experience and skill sets would perhaps only be relevant if the individual goes from a headcount of 500 in the public sector to 500 in the private sector.
1) It is relatively easy to be shortlisted for MA, especially for fresh grad. Tell me when you're inside.

2) Again, tell me when you have 2 years experience in public as a HR generalist, and then you try to go into MNCs. Btw, it is possible to be taking in more than $4000 after 2 years in public (assuming 1 promotion for good performers). Hence my earlier point on either taking pay cut or similar package stays.

3) That's the reality of the world. If you're NOT from the relevant sector, chances are your experience will taken at a "discount". Don't believe ask around. Try selling yourself that you've been in a company of 500 people, now you believe you can handle 5000 in just 2 years time. I've seen too many people in public trying to make it to private, but to no avail. Not unless you've reached at least DD level and above, or you're an AO. Which is impossible to reach in 2 years, and you are definitely not one respectively.

Bottom line, please do a reality check. You can't want to have the cake and eat it. Not unless there's something really special about you, that differentiate yourself from the crowd. And oh. We haven't even talk about the influx of "foreign talents" that MNCs love to take. Especially of people from certain nationalities. It is more prudent to take the worse case scenario into consideration, then go in doe-eyed and thinking the world's perfect and gonna go your way.