Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Advice needed for Ivy-L Grad down on his luck.
View Single Post
Old 20-06-2010, 04:26 PM

Flyinghome is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think no one really answered your questions. So i am going to try.

Qns : If I enter and finish a Management Trainee program, with the intention of leaving for a different company/role when I'm done is it a good idea? Does just having a Management Trainee program without further experience look ok on your resume?

Ans : You seem rather clear that you want to leave the job even before accepting it. From what you said, i sense the reason is due to pay (because it cant be other things like job prospect, working condition etc since you havent started work yet)

If this is so,it means you do have an acceptable pay figure in your mind. Ask yourself honestly if you believe that you can get a company to pay you that salary in this job market. If yes, then go for it with the idea that you are pursing a dream.. You never know unless you try and try again.

The otherside of the coin is, give yourself a clear deadline, with clear goals on how you plan to execute this dream. Like any other business venture you will encounter in the future, you need to know when things are going off track. If the conditions and signs are all pointing the otherway, you must move on from your dream and accept the situtation. It is not about giving up, it is about knowing how to recognise the situation and making the best of it.

Qns : Is accepting a pay grade of 3300 going to dictate my further earnings forever?

Ans : Of course not. But to double it in 2 years will also be unrealistic in terms of expectations. In good years, most companies only give 6-9% pay increment. Promotions are double digits. You do the maths and see if this is something you can live with.

Beyond pay, there are many things you may want to consider in your job. I am going to list a few
1. Time out to do other things : eg grow your non employment money , spend time wih love ones , sports, interest
2. Working conditions - learning opportunities, colleagues , culture,
boss expectations
3. Family support and personal needs - Do you need to support anyone in the near future in terms of $, time, emotional support ?

These are things that make a person work for a living. Not only a pay check.

Qns : What should I be doing now?

Ans : Finally, i sense you are young. On my part, i understand that as well and often wish i can be like some of my peers who are earning out of the world salaries and seeming to have to it all. But i now ask myself why should i be comparing myself to them. Why not compare myself to the others in the world that are worse than me ? Isnt it really just pride/ego that is driving me to want to be on the top of the world.

Having an IL education means you are already separated from the vast majority and are achieving dreams that others cannot imagine.

You asked what you should be doing now.

I challenge you to use your education and dreams to decide the path you want your life to be. No one is ever going to answer you this question better than yourself.
Btw thanks for your reply. I have alot to think about now, but I really appreciate the clarity you have provided here. I like the job and the profile but am concerned about the future prospects and career path of the program. I haven't alot of information about the program and what role I might be offered in the company after completing it.