Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Urgent advice needed! SPF vs banking ops
View Single Post
Old 31-01-2015, 02:37 AM

n30me is on a distinguished road
Default Urgent advice needed! SPF vs banking ops

Hi all,

Need your urgent advice pls. Recently i have been offered a position as a senior police officer (inspector rank) in SPF. Starting basic would be around 4.1k, which matches with my pay now. Reason why I applied to SPF in the first place is I dislike my deskbound job and want something that is different. From what I read, police work seems to be more challenging and fulfilling (you see your work directly making an impact on others so it seems). Fitness is not an issue for me.

On the other hand though, my current job is hot in the market right now (KYC and compliance). Potential salary could be in the upwards of 10-15k for someone with enough experience and future prospects seems bright since nowadays regulators are getting tighter on their policies. There is also chance for internally mobility but that will depend on many factors. I'm also afraid I'll still be the same glorified button pusher in another department.

Currently, i am more inclined towards joining SPF since job interest and stability are there. Income not really a concern also as the bonus payout for civil service is quite alot. However I've heard about the mentally and physically demanding working hours and im worried that it may destroy any interest I have since I'm used to knocking off on time in my current job.. That's why I have my reservations. Ultimately I do not want to end up regretting my choice.. im getting married in the next few years and have a housing loan to pay for. if you were me which path would you choose? Pursue interest in SPF and come what may? or continue slogging and hope for the best? Any advice or insights from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.