Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Trading (Crude oil)
View Single Post
Old 28-01-2015, 01:32 AM

chocobobo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, poor TS.. I'll try to help a little here.

The reason why you're getting so many negative remarks is because it is extremely difficult to get an Oil Trader role. You can interpret it this way: "If you don't even know the basics (as per your questions) by now (that you have graduated), you shouldn't even think of being one at all (considering that it'll be a far-fetched dream)".

Saying that, i wouldn't say that it is impossible for you to be an Oil Trader in the future. Again, I will emphasize that it will be extremely difficult to be one.

An Oil Trader is a trader - you trade oil. For example, recently, the market has seen many Oil Traders taking the opportunity of today's low prices by: Buying oil at spot ('today's price') and storing them in Oil storage tanks, with the view that prices will rise in the future.

Some of the big names include: Trafigura, Noble, Mercuria, Cargill, Glencore and Vitol. I will emphasize again that the Oil Trading Graduate Roles in these companies are extremely competitive to get into. I'm trying not to discourage you here, but it is to your benefit for me to be honest with you: Your chances of getting into these roles if you apply to them now (considering your current knowledge) is next to none.

If you know that you really want to be an Oil Trader, these are some of my suggestions of the possible paths that you can take:
- Read extensively about the markets and apply to those roles once you're proficient.
- Enter the support roles in those companies, and network your way up.

These paths do not guarantee you a Trader role, but it will increase your chances of becoming one in the future.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply!! Really appreciate it!!

Anyway, never in my first post said that I want to join Trading.
I also have no intention to craft my path towards trading.

It was just that an job agency called and told me about this particular role.
I was quite surprised by their brief descriptions and of course I am skeptical about it as my impression of trading as well is quite a competitive and lucrative role.
I just need someone to verify some of the information that I have misinterpreted.
Never had I thought there exists a oil trading firm that will have to go through job agency for recruitment of trader.

Never had I thought that my post might actually offended some of the possible oil traders.
I'm deeply sorry about it.

But at the same time I'm really glad that there is someone who is willing to share his/her knowledge with me.
You're an awesome fella.
Once again thank you!
Hope you have an awesome week!!