Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 18-01-2015, 07:57 PM
Unregistered

Default Utility and value

In life we cannot escape buying and acquiring things that will eventually spoil and become worthless. Household appliances and furnitures are immediate examples. These things helped make our lives better and free us from doing mundane things so that we can pursue other meaningful things in life. A car is one such item. It provides comfort, safety, privacy and convenience to the whole family. More so, if you have infants, and/or infirmed elderly to ferry around.

It is just that in Singapore, because of the high cost of owning a car and the artificial 10 year life span, the value of the car is called into question. In reality, the utility of the car is still the same. Car owners know this, and will continue to want one until they are priced out of the market by richer buyers.

Since the day I bought my first car, 27 years ago, I have never looked back. I have seen how the public transportation system improved by leaps and bounds, from many private bus operators to just 2 big bus operators and the MRT. Public transportation is now first world standard, I have to admit, but I still want my car! My wife also has a car, that makes 2 cars in our family. It has been this way since the day we married, because she had a car before we got married, and I had mine. Our current 2 cars are our number 8th and 9th car.

Yes, the cars eventually will become scrap metals, but they have given us much in return. As we are staying in a condo with underground car parking, having a car means not having to carry umbrellas to go grocery shopping, as we could simply go from underground car park to underground car park and get our groceries! And the many years, I sent my children to their schools, take examinations, to the vasrsity and whatever activities they had, all in time, in comfort and safety. The list just goes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi folks,

Today is the last day for the Singapore motor show 2015. Better go and book your new car now before it is too late.

I expect COE prices to continue its upward trend in line with the demand for new cars. Demand is expected to be greater than the supply for COEs. There are many people who are waiting for COE prices to drop so the more people wait the greater the demand will be when they finally have to buy the new car. Don't wait for the last minute rush to buy your new car. Avoid the period of panic buying when people see prices will only go higher and higher.

Good luck in buying your new car now. Don't need to buy expensive car models. Just buy a simple $100k - $120k car and pay in cash. Don't need to take any car loan as you have to pay lots of interest. Just remember a car is a depreciating asset and just a piece of junk metal after 10 years.