Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Help in career path (low expectations)
View Single Post
Old 18-01-2015, 01:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks for answering, that sounds super awesome. I too, am willing to take lesser money if it means I could do what I enjoy and/or have more time for other more important things in life.

Do Phds in the public service have an 'easy' ride? I hear that policy type roles tend to be worked harder than the average civil servant.
Umm, maybe I was a little bit misleading about how easy things are. Getting a phd itself is no easy task. For me, yes, it is pretty easy because I already have research ideas and I sort of have a natural talent in my own field. But still, getting a phd means 6 years of writing and publishing and teaching. Its hard for almost everyone unless you REALLY love what you do, like myself. On top of that, getting entrance into a good phd programme AND given a scholarship is not something everyone can get. Its something reserved for first class graduates.

On top of that, after getting a phd, you'd still need to find a job. Working in the public sector is a good option, but I believe it is by no means an easier ride. It will still be a job nonetheless. However, there is still more work-life balance than the private sector. Getting a job is also not a confirmed thing just because one has a Phd. It depends what your field is in, most phd grads find themselves unemployed because of over-qualification.

The best of the best end up as lecturers. Even then, lecturing gives you quite a meagre salary. Around 5k starting. Imaging that for a moment. You work 6 years on a stipend of 3.3k and then if you get to become a lecturer, your pay gets bumped up to only 5k. Whereas in the real world, if your starting salary is 3.3k, you might end up with much much more, maybe 8k after you work for a solid 6 years. There are also no bonuses in academia.

It doesnt stop there. When you get to be a lecturer, you still need to keep researching and publishing and publishing your work. You cant stop. After around 8 years, if your performance is good enough, the university may convene for a tenure decision. If you get tenure then you are safe! But if not, they might just let you go. Getting tenure itself is not easy. It is the holy grail of academia.