Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Help in career path (low expectations)
View Single Post
Old 16-01-2015, 12:40 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234567 View Post
Hi I am currently waiting to enter university after serving NS for 2 years. I currently have a place in NUS Chemical Engineering but recently have doubts about the course and career path that I am in.

Looking through this forum, I see many fellow Singaporeans who are working hard to achieve their high expectations and get top salaries by comparing with one another (i guess that's the whole point of this forum).

Unfortunately, I do not really have such great expectations for my future. What is more important to me is that I have a job which has balance and more time for myself and my loved ones. I do not plan on having a car or living in a condominium like some of us do. I would be happy to find a job with starting pay of 2k as a fresh graduate as that would be enough for my own expenses.

I'm afraid that chemical engineering would be too competitive and stressful, making me forget myself and more importantly, my religion. Hence, which career path would be more suitable for me?

Tl;dr Ok I admit I'm just too lazy to study hard anymore. What should I do to just continue to live an average or below average life without having to work too hard to impress others?
Find your strength. I was from a prestigious engineering course before, I studied hard, but still did badly all the way. I thought to myself, what was the point of studying so hard for something that I clearly have no passion and interest in. At the end of the day, I didnt want a high-paced job in the private aerospace industry, I wanted to have an 8-5 job in the public sector. So I switch over to humanities in my second year and it was the best decision I ever made. I graduated with a first class with barely any studying. Even studying didnt feel like studying because I was so genuinely interested in what I was learning and I was so strong in it, probably due to my keen interest, that scoring As was really a breeze.

So there, find what it is you're really interested in and just do it man. Thing is, there is no 'easy' course in university. Difficulty level is dependent on your interest and passion in said subject. And if you find a course you are keen in, you will definitely do well. At least well enough to get a decent paying job.