Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Advice needed on career/education
View Single Post
Old 14-01-2015, 01:43 PM

Vincent is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Hi Vincent,

I do not think your goal of having both a BTO flat and earning enough to own a car by 30 is realistic in today's context. Even a good honors degree grad from a local U will struggle to achieve that.

You are already ~25, no matter what additional cert you study need at least another 1-2 years to complete. It is unrealistic to think that you can nearly triple your pay in just that remaining 3+ years.

Also another advice is in today's world I strongly do not recommend people making only 5-6k to own a car. Even for a normal Jap sedan car, you will have to take up unsecured financing for a portion of the ~60k downpayment required followed by monthly instalments the remaining 60k secured loans, add in all that other barang cost of car ownership easily the cost of mainintaining just a jap sedan car will cost 2.5k-3k.

I do not know how you came to the conclusion that studying accountancy is your ticket to being a fund manager, but this is straight out wrong. ACCA trains people in accounting / auditing principles and procedures, they have almost nothing in common with investment fund management other than they are Finance.

Banking / Investment Management FO is one of the hardest places to go in without an ivy background, you are sorely mistaken if you think just grabbing a distance learning cert affliated with Oxford will get you anywhere. Even local U grads who make dean's list and FCH only a small fraction get in in the end.

You have a good attitude to upgrade yourself, but need to keep expectations in check. Accountancy is just a normal PMET profession in abudance in the market, don't expect it to bring in big $$$ for you to jump from lower income class to upper middle income class lifestyle in just a few years.
Actually ACCA is not just about accounting. Refer to ACCA Competency Framework - All.

The project and bsc is from Oxford Brookes not Oxford university which is possible to get in less than a year. Reder to BSc (Hons) Applied Accounting - Undergraduate study - Oxford Brookes University Business School

Like I said 5-6k + My wife( gf now) salary to buy a car. Not solely my earning alone.

Another path I have in mind is to be an accountant specialize in investment. With that experience I think it will be closer to being a fund manager.