Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Salary for Assistant Admin
View Single Post
Old 30-12-2014, 10:11 AM
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannee View Post
Hi Brian

Pertaining to your question “common areas of admin in small companies can be things like office/facilities management, manpower/payroll, events support, secretarial duties for senior management etc.”
To my bosses nor my colleague their thinking is that admin is a “cost” to company and admin responsibly is to do all the paper work in the office be it sales nor service but for benefits wise will never come to admin department.
I had a so called supervisor above me which have been working in this company almost 20 years her pay just only $3000 plus benefit for her is 26 days leave per year this was given to her about 5 years back.
Do you still think that I can still grow on admin job scope in this company?
Hi Joanne

Two valid points you raised:

1) Admin is seen as cost and rank low when it comes to benefits and social ladder - This is not unique to your company, any company regardless of size generally ranks dmin pretty low, but think about if from your own POV.

If you can build up a proper career track in admin and reach like a team lead or even global/regional lead in the future, the pay will still be better than if you work in say marketing department unable to reach full potential and end up as some local manager right?

Think of careers as it best suit your character and skillsets, not in terms of which department is good/bad.

2) Career limitations in your company - It will happen in a SME to any department. Over the long term, there will come a point where you will need to leave the current company to a bigger one in order to progress. The key thing is to gain useful experience so that you can sell yoursself better to big MNCs.

I would suggest if you really want to enhance your chances, follow a 2 prong approach. Look for opportunities to enlarge your job in the current company AND start updating your CV and apply for admin jobs in MNCs.

Your 2k pay is very easy for MNC to match (no offence really very low btw), the challenge is to convince them though you spent the last 4 years in SME, you are able to perform and collaborate in a large company.

Although administration department is not a high flying or prestigious place to be even in MNC, there is still a lot of room to grow if you can find the right company.

Just to give you some inspiration, in my office we have a shared services director who looks after the 2 admin service centres in Asia for the company. She was doing admin/clearical work and slowly worked her way up the ranks through the years until now around mid 50s. I don't know her exact pay, but base on job rank she is 2 notch above me and getting paid probably in the 250k range. Not saying this is common, but just telling you sometimes paths are forged by yourself.