Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Anyone jobless for a long time before?
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2014, 07:06 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspenx View Post
Sure. I'll try to summarise since I tend to be a little long-winded.

I'm a local engineering grad from a local uni with only average grades.

Something different from my peers is that I had already got JLPT1 (the highest certification for written Japanese for foreigners) before I graduated.

I joined a small engineering SME then where I did everything from service sales, procurement, to PM (project management), and after services.

My cert was just collecting dust before I decided to make a move using it as a springboard. I got into manufacturing equipment (from retro-fitting production areas and installing equipment) with my PM experience and JLPT cert because the company wanted to venture into the Japan market.

I learned a lot in these two companies. My Japanese and PM skills got polished up. I also managed to get PMP certified (project management professional) while I was working at the 2nd company. I didn't bother with any more Japanese language certs.

I then used my new PMP cert to move to a bigger manufacturing company (and higher post). I found the work repetitive and I wasn't learning much from the work. I wanted a job that helps me grow and I was willing to work hard for it and not just the money.

So I told my boss about my decision. I gave more than 1 month's notice as a courtesy for them to find my replacement (while I saved up to make my next big move).

I then left the company (and Singapore). Concentrated on full-time job search in Japan. With my qualifications (degree + JLPT1 + PMP) and experience (construction and manufacturing), I found a company in Japan that made and installed their own systems and they needed someone to manage throughout the entire project lifecycles.

I attribute my "success" to continual self-upgrading and working hard for what I wanted. That meant saving up for a gamble overseas with my own savings and no income.

At each new company, my gross monthly salary was ~20% more than what I last drew at each previous company. I suspect I wouldn't have been jobless for this long if I had not stick to this principle.

I'm just glad that my efforts, qualifications, and luck all finally aligned. Many of the people I know either think I was crazy or really "courageous". Thinking back, I realised I was neither. I don't think I can ever do such a "stunt" again.

If I _do_ have to do it again, I would take better care of my health. Cooping yourself up at home and just waiting by your phone/computer for interviews is no good for the mind nor the body. It really took a toll on me and I regret it because I could have performed better for all those interviews if I was healthier.

At the end of the day, nothing is as important as taking care of yourself really... Finding a job is just a matter of time and how much you can be contented with so you shouldn't be that hard on yourself. To rest is to prepare for a longer journey, or something like that.
Thanks for sharing and congrats again for getting the job you wanted.